Business License Stormwater Discharge Permit Requirements

About SB 205

The State Water Resources Control Board (State Water Board) and the California Regional Water Quality Control Boards (Regional Water Boards) prescribe waste discharge requirements for the discharge of stormwater by industries through the National Pollutant Discharge and Elimination System (NPDES) permit program. Regulated industries are required by law to obtain a stormwater permit.

Senate Bill (SB) 205, signed by Governor Newsom in 2019, requires a person or entity who conducts a business operation that is a “regulated industry” to demonstrate enrollment with the NPDES permit program. Regulated industries are those businesses with primate Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) codes that are identified by the State Water Board as requiring enrollment in the Industrial General Permit (IGP).

If your business is a regulated industry, completion and submission of the following information is required with your 2020 business license application:

  • Name and locations of all facilities operated by the business
  • All corresponding primary SIC codes
  • One of the following for each facility operated by the business:
  • Stormwater permit number, known as the Waste Discharger Identification number (WDID), issued for the facility by the State Water Board.
  • WDID application number issued for the facility by the State Water Board
  • Notice of Non-Applicability (NONA) identification number issued for the facility by the State Water Board.
  • No Exposure Certification (NEC) identification number issued for the facility by the State Water Board.

Find out if your business needs stormwater permit coverage

How to find out if your business needs stormwater permit coverage:

  1. Find out the primary SIC code for your business by visiting the U.S. Department of Labor SIC code search, and search by keyword(s): https://www.osha.gov/pls/imis/sicsearch.html
  2. Find out if your business SIC code falls under the requirement for stormwater permit coverage. Refer to Attachment A of the Stormwater IGP to identify if your SIC code is in one of the categories of facilities subject to enroll under the IGP:
  • Feedlots of a specific size (SIC codes 0211-0272): Feedlot SIC codes
  • Manufacturing Facilities (SIC codes 20XX-39XX and 4221-4225)
  • Oil and Gas/Mining Facilities (SIC codes 10XX-14XX)
  • Hazardous Waste Treatment, Storage, or Disposal Facilities (often SIC code 4953)
  • Landfills, Land Application Sites, and Open Dumps (SIC code 4953)
  • Recycling Facilities (SIC codes 5015 and 5093)
  • Steam Electric Power Generating Facilities (specific activities under SIC code 4911)
  • Transportation Facilities (SIC code 40XX through 45XX [4221-25] and 5171)
  • Sewage or Wastewater Treatment Works (SIC code 4952)

How to apply for stormwater permit coverage

To apply for a stormwater permit, or for general questions, go to State Water Board or local Regional Water Board website.

San Francisco Bay Region (2):


1515 Clay Street, Suite 1400
Oakland, CA 94612
E-mail: r2stormwater@waterboards.ca.gov
Tel: (510)622-2300
Fax: (510)622-2460

State Water Board stormwater contact:




photo of woman with clipboard
Close window