THE JOB: CHIEF BUILDING OFFICIAL
Closing Date: June 1, 2021
The Chief Building Official plans, schedules, and coordinates the activities and projects of the City’s Building Inspection Division. The CBO also provides highly technical expertise to the Director of Community Development and/or City Manager.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the Building Division.
- Administer and enforce the City’s building inspection and compliance program, including investigation of complaints and hazardous conditions.
- Provide expert advice and assistance to City management and staff, developers, commissions or boards, committees, and the public.
- Act as staff liaison for the Board of Building Appeals.
- Maintain discipline and high standards necessary for the efficient and professional operation of the division.
CLICK HERE to download a printable PDF version of the position overview.
CLICK HERE to view a more detailed job description.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition to managing the Building Division, the Chief Building Official is a key partner and liaison for property owners, the development community, and other City departments. This role is critical in our city’s efforts to achieve carbon neutrality and sets the tone for green building practices in our community.
- You are passionate about green building practices and environmental stewardship.
- You are a natural leader adept at motivation, team building, and conflict resolution.
- You operate with a high degree of professionalism and communicate respectfully.
- You are an expert in federal, state, and local regulatory requirements governing housing and building construction, rehabilitation, alteration, use, and occupancy.
- You are well versed in building practices and materials in the structural, plumbing, mechanical, and electrical construction fields.
- You have completed coursework equivalent to an Associate’s degree focused in pre-engineering, construction technology, or a related field OR have 2 years experience in a lead or supervisory role in building or related inspections.
- SALARY RANGE: $123,198.40 - $149,780.80 annually
- FOR YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING:
- MEDICAL INSURANCE: Choice of a variety of CalPERS Health Plans with a City contribution of up to $2,016.84 monthly for family health coverage (2021 plan year) or alternative option to receive Medical Cash Back (if you have medical coverage elsewhere). Learn more HERE.
- DENTAL & VISION INSURANCE: Coverage for employees & eligible family members, paid for by the City.
- LIFE INSURANCE: 1.5x annual compensation up to maximum of $200,000. Option to purchase additional insurance. Long-Term Disability up to 60% of your current monthly salary after eligibility requirements are met and subject to maximum amounts.
- FLEXIBLE WORK WEEK: 4/10 work week, with Fridays off*.
- EMPLOYEE ASSISTANCE PROGRAM: Support and benefits, for you and eligible family members, paid for by the City.
- FOR YOUR FINANCIAL FUTURE:
- CALPERS RETIREMENT PACKAGE
- 2% at 60 for classic CalPERS members
- 2% at 62 for PEPRA CalPERS members
- DEFERRED COMPENSATION PLAN: Voluntary participation in your choice of three plans.
- CALPERS RETIREMENT PACKAGE
- FOR YOUR WORK / LIFE BALANCE (annual amounts):
- Vacation: 80 Hours, increasing with years of service
- Sick Leave: 96 hours
- Administrative Leave: 80 hours
- Holidays: 12 fixed and 1 floating
*This schedule is revisited annually by the City Council and could change.