Serve Up Fire Safety in the Kitchen!
This year, the Nation Fire Prevention Association (NFPA) is focusing on Fire Safety in the kitchen, and your Petaluma Fire Prevention Bureau is here to ensure we are getting the word out!
Did you know ...
- Cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries. And unattended cooking is the leading cause of fires in the kitchen.
- Children should keep at least three feet distance from any hot things in the kitchen.
- Your cooking area should be clutter free- move any items that can burn away from the stove top.
- If a small grease fire does occur, put a lid on it! Be sure to keep a pot lid nearby.
- Using a timer is a good way to make sure you don't leave food unattended.
Please see below for more important tips and information on how you can keep your family safe in the kitchen and around the home!
Fire Prevention POSTER CONTEST!!! *Win Prizes!*
Fire Prevention is excited to announce that we will be holding a poster contest! Kids can create posters, no larger than 11x17, that demonstrate at least one safety message pertaining to Fire Prevention. Colored pencils, crayons, computer programs, and imagination encouraged! Submissions should be sent to: FireMarshal@cityofpetaluma.org no later than 10/26/20 at 12pm.
Prizes will include gift certificates to local shops, and delivery for the top prize in each group will be done by one of our Engine's or Ambulances!
Age groups for the contest will be the following:
- Kindergarten through Second Grade
- Third Grade through Fifth Grade
- Sixth Grade through Eighth Grade
- Ninth Grade through Twelfth Grade
Safety Message Ideas:
- Exit Drills in the Home (EDITH)
- Stop, Drop, and Roll
- Smoke Alarms in the home
- Kitchen Fire Safety
Ask a Firefighter or Fire Inspector! Virtual Q&A on 10/29/20 at 9am
Have you ever wanted to know something about the Petaluma Fire Department? Or the Fire Prevention Bureau? Well, now is your chance to ask! Join us on October 29, 2020 at 9am for a virtual question and answer session with two of the Petaluma Fire Department's employees. Questions will be asked and answered LIVE.
Please send any questions to: FireMarshal@cityofpetaluma.org by October 23, 2020.
We will "see" you there!
Zoom link to join: https://zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEvduigqT4uGNQBMAWOVrvk1vPTr5SGWj6P
Fire Prevention Public Education
The Petaluma Fire Department is working to raise awareness about fire safety and preventing fires. You can learn about our FIRE SAFETY TIPS here. And more on the City's FIRE PREVENTION efforts and resources.
The National Fire Protection Association is also a great resource for public education. CLICK HERE to learn more.
Fire Safety Tips
The Petaluma Fire Department has collected numerous safety tips and resources for fire prevention and keeping you safe at home.
Coloring Pages and Fire Safety Activities
To help teach about safety and fire prevention, here are coloring pages and activities for children.