Extreme Heat FAQ’s
The City of Petaluma strongly urges its residents to take the proper steps to protect their health during extreme heat.
Heat exhaustion and heat stroke can come on fast. It's important to know the signs to keep yourself and others safe. Spending long periods in direct sun and high temperatures can lead to serious heat injuries that can result in death. Just like humans, pets can experience health effects from extreme heat too.
When dealing with situations of extreme heat, make sure that you:
- Find air-conditioning when you can
- Avoid any strenuous activities
- Wear light, loose-fitting clothing
- Check on family members and neighbors
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- Protect your pets by watching humidity levels, limiting exercise and exposure to hot pavement, and providing ample shade and water
Read on to learn how to protect yourself and your family from heat-related injuries.