Chair: Melissa Abercrombie
Vice Chair: Heather Mackin
City Staff Liaison: David Ward
Recreation, Music, and Parks Commission Representative: Stacey Earl
Petaluma Art Center Representative: Katherine Plank
Meets: 4th Thursday of each month at 6:00 P.M. in Council Chambers at City Hall, 11 English Street, Petaluma.
The Public Art Committee reviews and approves public art applications and related materials for any public art project on public property or as part of a public construction project as defined in Chapter 19.6 of the Zoning Ordinance, and provides general oversight of the Public Art Program, its projects, and sites including, but not limited to:
- Selecting artwork and appropriate locations for the public art program. Locations can include surface treatments of buildings, retaining walls and bridges, or may be interior spaces provided they are accessible to the public for a minimum of eight hours per business day.
- Selecting artists for commissioned artwork.
- Establishing requirements of design documentation for review of artwork, and requirements for project records.
- Establishing maintenance policies and funding.
- Developing and making recommendations to the City Council on expenditures from the Public Art Fund.
- Participating to the extent determined appropriate by the City Manager in the selection of support staff and consultants necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of the commission.
- Preparing and implementing a comprehensive plan for the public arts.
The committee has seven members, five of whom are appointed by the City Council from the community at large. Three of these five are to be “visual arts professionals” as defined by City of Petaluma Ordinance 2202 N.C.S. Remaining members include a representative of the Petaluma Arts Council, recommended by the Arts Council, and a representative of the Recreation, Music, and Parks Commission. All committee members serve four-year terms, except the RMPC representative, who serves a one-year term. Please read the Public Art Information Packet for details.