How do I get a Copy of a Police Report?

You must request a police report in writing online or with the report request form (submitted to the Police Department in person at the Police Department or by mail to Police Department, Attn: Records, 969 Petaluma Blvd. North Petaluma, CA 94952). Traffic collision reports may be requested online.

Reports may not be available if you request them. If the report is approved and available, your request will take between seven and ten working days. complex investigations may require more time to complete the report.

A variety of laws, rules and regulations apply to the release of information. Below is information about who is entitled to a police report and how to request one. Certain reports are not releasable at all; others must be redacted before release. To ensure that we can provide what you need, please call (707) 778-4372 and ask for Records.

You are entitled to a report if you are:

  • The individual named in the report requested (driver, passenger, pedestrian, victim);
  • The property owner in the report requested;
  • The parent/guardian of juvenile party in the report requested;
  • An authorized individual in the report requested (signed authorization is required);
  • A representative of insurance company or insurance adjusting agency in the report requested;
  • The attorney of the individual named in the report requested.

Reports that cannot be released by the Police Department include:

      • Arrest reports: If you have been arrested – either booked into jail or cited – you are not entitled to receive a copy of the report from the police department. You will receive a copy from the courts or your defense attorney.
      • Reports involving minors: Any report involving a minor (17 years of age or younger) is not releasable to anyone without a court order. This includes the parents and/or reporting parties.
      • Medical reports: Any report consisting of medical information, including 72-hour mental health commitments (5150 reports), are not releasable without a court order to anyone, including the victim.
Close window