The Ordinance applies when tenants have continuously and lawfully occupied a rental unit within the City of Petaluma for:
- 6 months – when owner does not live on the same property as the tenant
- 12 months – when the owner lives on the same property as the tenant or if the tenant rents an accessory or junior accessory dwelling unit.
The following situations are not subject to the Petaluma rules:
- Dwelling units owned or subsidized by a government agency where the rent does not exceed 30% of household income.
- Dwelling units in developments in which at least forty-nine percent of the dwelling units are subject to affordable housing deed restrictions
- Dwelling units with tenant managers and
- Dwelling units in which the owner resides with a tenant as the owner’s primary residence.