Residential Smart Controller Rebate
The City of Petaluma is pleased to provide residential water customers up to a $900 rebate for the purchase of a Smart Irrigation controller.
Smart irrigation controllers utilize local site conditions such as soil moisture, evaporation, plant transpiration, sunlight, temperature, and humidity to calculate how much water should be applied to your landscape. This technology takes the guess work out of programming your irrigation controller. The Smart controller will input the total amount of time to operate each irrigation valve without you or your landscape contractor having to do the work. When the weather gets warm, the Smart controller irrigates more, when the weather cools down, it irrigates less.
- Site must have a fully operational in-ground irrigation system operated by an automatic sprinkler timer.
- Site must have at least 1,500 square feet of automatically irrigated landscaping.
- Site must have at least 500 square feet of well maintained, automatically irrigated turf grass.
- Site must be a potable water account of the City of Petaluma.
- Property owner must agree to release historical and future water usage data for statistical purposes.
- Property owner must agree to an onsite pre- and post-installation verification.
- Smart Controller must be installed and operational at the installation site for at least two (2) years.
- The qualified Smart Controller must have a minimum of 3 years pre-paid signaling fees (for controllers utilizing an operating signal).
- Install a rain sensor with the Smart Controller.
Up to 12 active stations: $300.00
13 to 24 active stations: $600.00
25 or more active stations: $900.00
How to Participate:
- Confirm eligibility by setting up a pre-installation verification. Call (707) 778-4507.
- Read and complete the rebate form.
- Purchase and install a qualifying Smart Controller. See below for more details on qualifying controllers. Rebates for irrigation controllers utilizing on-site soil moisture sensors will be issues on a case-by-case basis.
- Arrange an onsite post-installation verification by calling (707) 778-4507.
- Submit the completed application and a copy of the purchase invoice(s)/receipt(s) to the representative during your verification appointment.
- Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the rebate check to arrive after your verification appointment.
How Does a Smart Controller Qualify for a Rebate?
In order to qualify, the Smart controller must have gone through the Irrigation Associations Smart Water Application Technology (SWAT) testing protocol and obtained a mean average for 6 test zones of 100% in Irrigation Adequacy and a mean average for 6 test zones of 0% in Irrigation Excess. Rebates for irrigation controllers utilizing on-site soil moisture sensors will be issues on a case-by-case basis.
Download the application form HERE
Smart irrigation controllers help to dramatically reduce the water used for garden and landscape maintenance.
The Water Conservation Team