FAQ Topic: Police Department

How do I contest a parking citation?

Here are steps to contest a parking citation: The first request must be made within 21 calendar days of receiving the citation or within 14 calendar days of receiving the delinquent notice. The request must be made for an Initial Review before a request for an Administrative Hearing.  The request for the Administrative Hearing must be … Continued

My car was towed. How do I get it back?

First, you must request a tow release in person from the Police Department  and pay a City administrative fee of $199. Next, you must present the release to the tow company and pay its fees. Note: towed cars can only be released to the registered owner–no exceptions.

What is a clearance letter and how do I get one?

A clearance letter states that you have no criminal history with the Petaluma Police Department. The letter encompasses the previous eight years and applies only to Petaluma Police’s jurisdiction. To request one, contact Police Records by mail or in person. Provide a copy of your valid driver’s license, a written request, and pay a fee … Continued

How do I report a crime?

To report a crime that is an emergency and in progress, dial 911. For non-emergency crimes, including those that are in progress and those that have already taken place, read our tips here.

Can I be compensated as a victim of a crime?

By law, qualifying victims of crime may receive financial assistance for losses resulting from a crime when these losses cannot be reimbursed by other sources. The State Board of Control (Board), Victims of Crime Program (Program), administers California’s Crime Victim Compensation Program.  Learn More.

What animals can be kept as pets?

Rules about which animals and pets can be found in Title 9, Section 9.08, of the City’s municipal code. https://www.codepublishing.com/CA/Petaluma/. Please contact North Bay Animal Services, the City’s animal control provider, if you have questions or concerns about animals with the City limits.

Close window