FAQ Topic: Permits & Inspections

How do I film in Petaluma?

Filming in Petaluma requires a film permit. Go to cityofpetaluma.org/permits to apply. More info about film permits: Required for all types of film shoot — traditional camera, digital camera, drone, etc. Please plan ahead! Productions that require street closures or City staffing – submit applications at least 60 days before filming date. Productions without street … Continued

How Do I Get a Parking Permit?

The City issues parking permits in the following situations: Reserved parking in ‘A’ Street and Keller Street parking facilities: currently there is a waiting list for these permits. Temporary construction parking permits: you need this permit for  parking construction-related equipment or vehicle in a timed parking zone.  A timed zone is usually in the downtown area … Continued

When do I need to install sprinklers?

All new residential and commercial construction requires the installation of fire sprinklers. Some existing buildings, both residential and commercial, without fire sprinklers may require a fire sprinkler retrofit as a result of major remodels, additions or renovations. There are exceptions for some Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU). Detailed fire sprinkler requirements can be found here.

What is a business license inspection and how do I schedule one?

As part of the business license process, the City’s Fire Prevention and Building Divisions need to inspect your business to ensure that you business meets minimum requirements for safety and emergency access. To schedule a business license inspection, send email to bizcheck@cityof petaluma.org. You can prepare for the inspection by reviewing this checklist of items.

When do I need a fire department permit?

There are two types of fire department permits: Construction and Operational. Construction permits are needed for the installation of fire protection systems (such as fire sprinklers) and high-piled storage systems and for construction that involves hazardous materials and processes. Operational permits are required for certain business types or business activities, such as businesses involving hazardous … Continued

What is an Encroachment Permit and how do I get one?

The City needs to assure safety and accessibility on all public property and right-of-way, such as streets and sidewalks.  For that reason, it requires an encroachment permit any time a property owner, service provider, business, construction company needs to use part of the sidewalk, street, or other public right-of-way. You’d need an encroachment permit for: … Continued

Can I subdivide my property?

Potentially. Contact the Planning Division by phone (707.778.4470), email ([email protected]) or in person at 11 English Street to learn about how you can use or subdivide the property in question. Planners are available to help from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, Closed Fridays

What fees are associated with building an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU)?

There are several fees associated with ADU’s, including: Building permit fees- about 5 percent  of the total valuation, time and materials to build. School Impact Fees – about $3 to $ 4 a square foot.  There are several school districts within the City limits, so you might owe fees for more than one district. Contact … Continued

Are there special requirements for buildings in historic districts?

Yes, homes and commercial buildings in Petaluma’s Historic Districts have special requirements and limitations, especially for exterior changes (including paint and windows). Consult with the Planning Division for information and direction. Call 707.778.4470, email ([email protected]) or stop by the Planning Counter at 11 English Street during normal business hours (8am – 5pm Mondays through Thursdays, … Continued

What is an over-the-counter permit?

  An over-the-counter permit does not require plan review. These permits are typically issued on the same day or within a few days of the Building Division’s receipt of your permit application. The Building Division will issue over the counter permits for re-roofs, water heater, furnace and A/C repair/replacements, and electric service panel upgrades. To … Continued

Close window