FAQ Topic: Housing

Rules Regarding Rent Increases

The City’s Ordinance does not address rental increases. However, the California Tenant Protection Act (TPA) does limit rent increases. Under the TPA, annual rent increases are limited to 5% plus a cost of living adjustment or 10%, whichever is less. This CA guide for tenants and landlords includes all state rules describing these limits. The … Continued

Special Rights Afforded to Tenants

The City of Petaluma’s tenant protection ordinance authorizes tenants to bring civil actions to determine the applicability of the Ordinance to their tenancy. If the tenants prevail in a wrongful eviction action, they may recover their attorneys’ fees from the owner.

Where to Send Notices Required by the City

The following notices must be submitted to the City: The notice required when a unit is removed from the rental market. Copy of the recorded memorandum Notice that the owner intents to return the unit to the residential rental market Submit forms in person or by mail to:  11 English St, Petaluma, 94952; or by … Continued

What Steps Are Required to Terminate a Tenancy?

Provide Tenants with a Notice of Termination: ENGLISH  |  ESPAÑOL Landlord must provide this notice to the tenant(s) in the language used to negotiate the lease. The Notice of Termination must be provided to the tenant(s) in advance of the proposed move out date. The timing of the notice depends on several factors and must be … Continued

Notice of Tenant Rights and When Is It Required?

NOTICE OF TENANT RIGHTS – ENGLISH  |  ESPAÑOL Landlords must notify their tenants about their rights when: Entering, or changing, a lease Raising the rent Before and after the sale of a unit If the City updates applicable laws – Subscribe Here to be notified.

When Can a Landlord Terminate a Tenancy?

“For Cause” reasons to terminate a tenancy include when a tenant:  Fails to pay rent Breaches rental agreement Is convicted of Illegal activity on property Threatens violence Fails to cease activities causing nuisance Fails to give access to landlord Landlord can terminate a tenancy without cause (“no cause”) when: Owner wants to remove a unit … Continued

When does the Ordinance apply?

The Ordinance applies when tenants have continuously and lawfully occupied a rental unit within the City of Petaluma for: 6 months – when owner does not live on the same property as the tenant 12 months – when the owner lives on the same property as the tenant or if the tenant rents an accessory … Continued

How do I apply for Section 8 vouchers?

Sonoma County Housing Authority manages the Section 8 voucher program for all of Sonoma County, including Petaluma.  Please call (707) 565-7500 or visit their website.

How do I find out if there are any affordable housing vacancies in Petaluma?

You need to call each of the affordable housing developments in Petaluma to learn if there are vacancies. Refer to the list of affordable housing developments for contact information.  Be sure to check eligibility requirements and consider putting your name on a waiting list if there are no vacancies currently.

How do I get help if I am homeless?

Contact the Committee on the Shelterless (COTS), at 707-765-6530 or [email protected]  COTS manages Petaluma’s two homeless shelters (the adults-only Mary Isaak Center and the Family Shelter) and can refer you to an array of services, including housing.   Another resource is the County’s Coordinated Entry System, which matches people experiencing homelessness with available housing and … Continued

Close window