Finance FAQs

How Do I Get a Parking Permit?

The City issues parking permits in the following situations:

  • Reserved parking in ‘A’ Street and Keller Street parking facilities: currently there is a waiting list for these permits.
  • Temporary construction parking permits: you need this permit for  parking construction-related equipment or vehicle in a timed parking zone.  A timed zone is usually in the downtown area where parking is only permitted certain days and hours. These permits are issued for a maximum of thirty days at a time, after which they may be renewed.
  • Residential parking permits may be issued for areas where “Permit Only” restrictions are in effect, or as designated by City Council.

Parking permits are handled by the Finance Department. Please contact [email protected] for assistance.

How do I pay my water/sewer bill? 

Water/Sewer/Storm bills can be paid in person or by mail (Finance Department at City Hall, 11 English Street), or online at Payment drop-boxes are available at City Hall to submit payment when City Hall is closed.

How do I get a copy of the City Budget and other finance documents?

You can access the current year City budget, annual reports, and other documents from the City’s Finance Department web page.

If you cannot find the Finance document you need, please contact the Finance Department at  [email protected].

What are the hours and location of the City Finance Department?

The City Finance Department is open for in person assistance, Monday through Thursday, from 9:00 am to 3:00 p.m. Phone hours are Monday through Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  The Department is located at City Hall, 11 English Street, Petaluma, CA 94952. You can also contact the Department by email ([email protected]) or by phone (707-778-4352).

How do I pay Transient Occupancy Taxes (TOT)?

TOT (TOT) taxes must be submitted in person or by mail to the Finance Division by the 15th of each month, using the Transient Occupancy Tax return Form. The City does not offer online payment options for TOT at this Time.

For info about the TOT and how/where to submit, go to our TOT info page.

How do I pay my property tax?

Your property taxes are paid to the County of Sonoma. Find payment information and online payment options at the County website.

How do I pay my parking ticket?

To pay a parking ticket, use the online payment system at For questions, call (888) 300-9829. Note: The City does not accept payment at any of its physical locations.

How do I pay for a Business Certificate and Tax?

Go to our Business Certificate page to learn how to apply for or renew a business certificate, sometimes known as a business license, and pay your business tax.


When is my water and wastewater (sewer) bill due?


The due date on your utility bill is 28 days from the bill date.  Late payment penalties are not assessed until 30 days from your bill date.  For more information regarding utility bills and payments, please click here.

How do I stop my water and sewer services?

To start or stop service please call 707-778-4350 and select option 3.

Does the City have online payment options?

Yes. You can pay your water and sewer bill and set up auto-payment options for other bill types at

What forms of payment does the City accept?

We accept cash, check, money order, traveler’s check, Visa, and MasterCard.  A processing fee may apply to credit card payments.

Bills that can be paid online include water and sewer. Other bills must be paid in person, by postal mail, or over the phone. 

Parking tickets must be paid online or by mail using the envelope supplied with your citation; the City does not accept parking ticket payments at any of its locations.

To pay your Garbage/Refuse bill, please contact Recology, who handles Garbage/Refuse in the City of Petaluma.


How much is the business tax in Petaluma?

For the first year, the City assesses business taxes based on the type of business. After the first year, the taxes are assessed based on the business’s gross receipts. Refer to the Business Certificate Fees Page to determine your tax obligations and how to pay.

Close window