Fire Sprinkler Retrofit
Fire codes require that sprinklers and/or other fire protection systems in certain commercial settings and as part of certain residential or commercial construction projects.
Review the information below, then contact the Fire Protection Bureau to find out what the requirements are.
Depending on the size your project, you may consider requesting an appointment with the Development Review Committee (DRC), which meets weekly and is composed of staff from all departments that require permits. For more information about the DRC, please email the Planning Division: email@example.com.
Sprinklers must be installed in the following types of residential structures:
- New construction
- Residential Additions
- Accessory Dwelling Units
- Remodels - new/remodeled square footage is more than 50% of the existing space
In some cases, the water supply (water lateral) coming from the water main serving the structure is not big enough to support a sprinkler systems. In that case, the home owner will need to upgrade the water lateral. Contact the Public Works Department at 707-778-4546 for information about the water lateral upgrades.
Water Flow Requests
Water Flow Requests are handled through the Public Works Department, please contact them at 707-778-4546.
Special fire permits and protection systems must be installed in these situations:
- Changing building occupancy
- Installing warehouse storage (high-piled storage) systems over 12" high or encompassing 500 square feet
- Installing certain types of equipment
- New Fire Sprinkler Tax Incentive Guide: https://nfsa.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/NFSA-Tax-Incentive-guide-F.pdf