Mission Statement and Goals
The City of Petaluma’s public art program is committed to enhancing the appearance and cultural richness of the City by incorporating works of art into public places and fostering art within public view or access in private developments. The public art program encourages the use of art to celebrate the City’s rich history, its significant environmental assets and the diversity of its community as well as to salute creativity, innovation and artistic excellence.
The primary goals which assist the Petaluma Public Art Committee and City Staff in implementing the public art program are:
- Promote the display of public artwork through projects;
- Develop a public art program that addresses and reflects the values, cultures and aspirations of the community;
- Create a public art program that supports and advances the urban design and community goals of the City;
- Develop community support for and encourage community participation in the public art program; and
- Integrate the public art program into City ordinances, policies, plans and procedures to ensure the long-term viability of the public art program and the public art purchased under the program.
Petaluma Public Art Committee
The Petaluma Public Art Committee (PPAC) reviews and approves public art applications and related materials for any public art project on public property or as part of a public construction project as defined in Chapter 18 of the Implementing Zoning Ordinance, and provides general oversight of the public art program, its projects, and sites.
Public Art and Artist Resources
Opportunities with the Public Art Program
Community Art Grant
The Community Art Grant program is a new opportunity to fund community-driven and generated programs, projects, and activities. Created and launched in 2021, the program strives to streamline funding opportunities directly to members of the community using small, nimble grant requests.
Small Artwork Commission
The Small Artwork Commission is an annual commission program for professional artists to submit site-specific proposals to create new artwork throughout Petaluma. "Small" referring to $25,000 commissions and 12 months to complete, this opportunity is open to California-based artists ages 18 and up. Eligibility is not limited by style or medium.
Active Public Art Projects
Past and Completed Public Art Projects
Public Art Map
Green icons are City-funded artworks from the Public Art Fund. Blue icons are public artworks funded from other sources, including private organizations and groups. Click on the map icons to learn more about the artworks!