High-Efficiency Toilet Rebate Program
Get up to a $150 rebate for each qualifying high-efficiency toilet (HET) you install! Your new HET must replace older toilets that are designed to flush 1.6 gallons per flush (gpf) or more. This program is available to all City of Petaluma residential water and sewer. See “How to Participate” below for details. Rebates are available on a first-come, first-served basis, while funding is available.
What is a High-Efficiency Toilet?
High-efficiency toilets (HETs) are fixtures that use at least 20% less water than the standard 1.6 gallon per flush (gpf) toilet. On average, HETs use 1.28gpf or less, depending on the model.
Flush Volume Comparison
- HET - 1.28 gpf or less ( ‹ 4.8 liters)
- Standard - 1.6 gpf (6.0 liters)
- Older toilets - 3.5 gpf or more! ( › 13.2 liters)
How to Participate
- Get pre-approved. Before purchasing your new HET, call the Water Conservation line at (707) 778-4507 to determine eligibility and to sign up for your free Water-Wise HouseCall. A Water-Wise HouseCall is necessary to verify that the toilet(s) you will be replacing flushes 1.6 gpf or more. Pre-approval must be obtained before you replace your existing toilet(s). An application form will be provided to you upon pre-approval.
- Purchase and install your qualifying HET(s). Toilets without the WaterSense label will not be rebated. Please contact us if you have any questions.
- Recycle your old toilet. All old toilets (porcelain) must be recycled at the Petaluma Recycling Center, 315 2nd Street, Petaluma. Please submit your recycling receipt with your rebate application. Call the Petaluma Recycling Center at (707) 763-4761 for their current hours prior to recycling your toilet. Please remove all hardware, plastic, rubber and seat from the toilet. Only the porcelain portion of the toilet is to be turned in for recycling. Toilets with attached hardware will not be accepted
- Send in your completed application, the original receipt for the new toilet(s), and the original recycling receipt for your old toilet(s) to the address on the application.
- Once your application is processed, it may take up to six weeks for your rebate check to arrive. An inspection by a City representative of the newly installed HET(s) may be necessary before issuance of the rebate check.
Commercial Rebates Available!
- High-efficiency toilet and urinal rebates are also available for commercial businesses and industries. Commercial rebates are up to $260 per qualified fixture. For more information please call (707) 778-4507.